For when you want just a little bite of chocolate sweetness.
This is adapted from a doughnut recipe from The Vegan Cookie Fairy. Her doughnuts are full-size, and she says to use “plain gluten-free flour” which for someone who makes their own per-recipe mixes like me is very open to interpretation. So, I played around and got a mix that I liked, having to change some of the wet/dry ratio, especially since I also swapped the brown sugar for coconut sugar, and messed around with some other ingredients.
The glaze is not necessary, but it does boost the chocolate taste even more.
If like me you only own one mini doughnut pan, you will need to do multiple batches, but at least they cook really quickly.
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN CHOCOLATE BAKED DOUGHNUTS
very modified from The Vegan Cookie Fairy
~for 28-30 mini donuts~
50 g millet flour [1/3 cup + 4 tsp]
35 g sweet/glutinous rice flour [3 1/2 tbsp]
30 g buckwheat flour [1/4 cup]
40 g coconut sugar [1/4 cup + 1 tsp]
10 g cocoa powder [2 tbsp]
1 1/2 tsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp baking powder
110 ml plant milk (I used oat) [1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp]
45 ml maple syrup [3 tbsp]
15 ml blackstrap molasses [1 tbsp]
15 ml olive oil, or nut/seed butter for oil-free [1 tbsp]
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175ºC [350ºF].
- Mix dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a different bowl, then gently mix into the dry ingredients.
- Let batter sit for about 10 minutes to thicken a little.
- Spoon into the doughnut pan, cleaning the edges a bit if necessary. You can also use a piping bag to pipe in the mixture instead, but that’s one more tool to clean.
- Bake 7 minutes in a non-stick mini doughnut pan, then let them cool in a pan for 3-5 minutes before tapping them out on a clean surface. Clean your pan and fill it for round two; keep going until you’ve used all the batter.
For the glaze, I melted 80% dark chocolate with coconut sugar, maple syrup, oat milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder, mixing and adding things until I got the consistency I wanted, then I dripped it over the doughnuts.
Nutrition for 1 doughnut on a batch of 28, without glaze: 35 calories, 1g fat, 7g carbs, 0.5g protein